CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The slave narrative


Picture Extension:

Excerpt: "While I was on board this ship, my captain and master named me Gustavus Vassa. I at that time began to understand him a little, and refused to be called so, and told him as well as I could that I would be called Jacob; but he said I should not, and still called me Gustavus: and when I refused to answer to my new name, which I at first did, it gained me many a cuff; so at length I submitted, and by which I have been known ever since." (61)


Reflection: I found this narrative particularly interesting because even though it tells the story of how the African people were mistreated it manages to maintain a unbiased attitude and almost 3rd person perspective in order to shed true light upon the situation. I also felt aghast at the actual situation in terms of raw emotion.

Journal: Today I have read Equiano's story. I must confess before now i thought of slaves to be an inferior kind and enslaving them to be the only proper way to get them to work. However after reading this i am indeed convinced that free men might be harder workers and better suited for the job. Also I think that some of the conditions describes are even to cruel for people such as them.

1 comments:

Joe Murray said...

George,

In your reflection I'm glad you mentioned that the narrative presented an "unbiased view" as I felt that it was very important to extract that from the text. I also liked the thought that you put into your journal entry, but I noticed that you forgot to apply your essential question to this section. Don't forget! Other than a few spelling mistakes, you did a good job.